Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC, the maker of D-Con, recently agreed on a plan with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, to ban sales of the rat poison and replace the products in 2015 with a line approved by the agency for home use. The company must stop making the product at the end of this year, but can continue to sell products under its brand and can continue selling it to retailers through March 2015. The new formula will require rodents to eat more than 1 pellet to be killed. EPA wanted this agreement because there has been links to tens of thousands of accidental ingestions by babies and they also pointed out the risks of secondary poisoning when other animals eat the poisoned rats or mice. The positive side of D-con is that there is an antidote. Vitamin K can be used to save those who accidently ingested the rodenticide.
Even though EPA pointed out the dangers of D-Con, Reckitt Benckiser argued that some alternative rat poisons approved for home use were more harmful to children and pets because it contains a neurotoxin such as bromethalin (Tomcat ), which targets the nervous system and can cause seizures or internal damage that may be hard to treat since there is no known antidote. The company also argued that the risk of death is higher with neurotoxin poisonings since D-Con poisoning can be cured after taking vitamin K.
For more information click here
Posted by: Christina Duong, PharmD candidate 2015