These are the 5 main bullet points of SB 1039:
- Permitting pharmacy technicians, under the direct supervision of a pharmacist to fill and seal emergency drugs into trays;
- Permitting pharmacy staff to provide patients with medication pursuant to preprinted or electronic standing orders, order sets and protocols established under the policies and procedures of a health care facility;
- Permitting pharmacy technicians and intern pharmacists, under the direct supervision of a pharmacist and as specified, to inspect drugs maintained throughout the hospital; and,
- Requiring hospitals to adopt policies and procedures regarding the responsibility for assuring proper methods for repackaging and labeling of bulk cleaning agents, solvents,chemicals and non-drug hazardous substances used throughout the hospital.
- Makes technical changes to existing law in order to reference new statute created under SB 493.
Posted by: Christina Duong, PharmD candidate 2015